Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Did You?

On my way to vote, I met the Shepherd family. As they walked to the elementary school, our local polling place, Mr. Shepherd ran ahead of the group to take pictures of his wife, his sister, and his four daughters as they went to vote. Out in front of the school, I held their camera and took a picture for the Shepherds as the smiled and gave me seven thumbs up. 

This morning, they sat down with the sample ballots they got in the mail, and decided as a family how the three adults should vote on each question; they then walked to the polls together so that Mr. Shepherd could record the moment, the first time they were able to vote for a man who shared the same color skin. 

While I had no doubts that this is a historic election, it was brought home to me personally as I saw the smiles on those faces in the viewfinder of Mr. Shepherd's camera. 


1 comment:

KmD said...

probably illegal voters registered by ACORN